Friday, March 19, 2010

STEREOTYPES OF THE HOMELESS (e-mailed to us and reprinted here!)

"The stereotype that holds the most about homeless people is that there is a lot of mental illness, physical illness, and/or drug use among us. I have to agree.

When I lost my job and my apartment and had to go to a cold weather shelter, I was in a state of shock. Eventually I got into a Transitional living place but the conditions are terrible. I can't get used to the other people living there, many who are mentally ill. My health continues to get worse because of stress. If I had a car, I think I would do better living in it."


"Randy Andy" - Orange County, California

2 comments:

Alex Wells said...

You are a disgrace. I am doing an english project right now about stereotypes and guess what I choose? Dumb stereotypes about the homeless, which ARE people just different but hey uh, last time I checked we were all different indivduals. Even though the homeless may have gone through a terrible path to become homeless they still have feelings and you should treat them how you would want to be treated. I cannot believe "Randy Andy" Orange County, California decided to say you have to agree without thinking and maybe saying to yourself that they dont want to be homeless. Here's a great stereotype for people in Orange County, "People in Orange County are rich snobs that only think about themselves". Thats a familiar one.

Alex Wells said...

Way to subscribe this on my birthday too on March 19th of 2010.