HUFF POST - 15$ MINIMUM WAGE IMPACT ON LIVES
EXCERPT: ... If it does pass, California will be the first state to adopt the $15 minimum wage that food service, retail, health care and other low-wage workers have been agitating for since 2012. That makes it a game changer for minimum wage politics. Certain cities have passed a $15 minimum wage, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle, but so far no state has. Success in California could lead to success in other states.
Higher wages in California alone could boost a lot of people: Almost 18 million individuals are employed in the country’s largest state economy, and 118,000 of them make the minimum wage or less. Further, unlike federal law, California law does not permit employers to pay tipped workers a lower minimum wage. That means a hike to $15 would apply to the state’s tipped workers as well.
Housing costs are a particular problem for California’s low-income residents. Many parts of the state — particularly along the coast and in areas within commuting distance of Los Angeles, San Francisco and Silicon Valley — are facing a dearth of affordable housing. California rents are the second-highest in the country, after those in Hawaii.
PAGES - POP UP AND BE SURPRISED!
- HOW TO USE THIS BLOG TO FIND SERVICES
- QUESTIONS FOR HOMELESS
- ASK THE SHELTER / NONPROFIT AT INTAKE
- BE A GOOD ROOM MATE AT THE SHELTER
- WHAT MAKES A GOOD CASE MANAGER?
- BIRTH CERTIFICATES - DMV ID - EMAIL - SNAIL MAIL -...
- WE WANT REFERRALS TO EBT FOOD - RESTAURANTS
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIET!
- FIND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS / LOCAL and NATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL READERSHIP OF EXPOSE HOMELESSNESS
- CONTACT US - CONFIDENTIAL