Wednesday, August 10, 2011

CYNTHIA'S STORY AS REPORTED BY ONE OF OUR WRITERS

"When I first became homeless I knew some homeless people from the library I went to. One of them was Cynthia. She was sleeping in her truck and part of a caravan of homeless people who slept in their cars and lived around the park. Cynthia had one friend who let her come into her house once a week for a shower and to get mail there. But even in the coldest weather she would not go to a shelter. She wore snow suit outfits most days, washed her face and hands and brushed her teeth in the library bathroom, and kept to herself.

A couple years ago Cynthia got her SSDI and saved enough to move into an apartment. She let her park friends move on and invited a man to live in the apartment with her. I don't know what happened, but I've been seeing Cynthia walking down the street every day with one of the biggest wheeled suitcases they sell. I think she is homeless again, and this time without a truck.

I don't know what happened to her friends in the park.

I don't know why she won't go to a shelter.

I don't know if there is something more wrong with her - maybe dementia set in?

She's getting older now.

No comments: