Natalie : "I was a baby nurse." I traveled with my employers. Then I got injured between jobs. I just missed getting SSDI. I got SSI and a room in a house. The house was sold."
Nadine : "I was a yoga instructor." "I'm living in my car. I'm still vegan. I don't drink or do drugs. I find a place in the park to practice and I still hope to teach yoga again."
Jose : "Construction until I hurt my leg. I will tell you, I do drink, but not on the job and not when I was hurt. I'm looking for any kind of day work."
Cathy : "My fiancée and I came out here looking for work from the South. He gets odd jobs. I make crafts for sale. Other than that, a church is helping us."
Bruce : "Don't laugh. I was an IT (Internet Technology Tech). It's not true that a degree or even years of good experience will guarantee you a job." We asked Bruce, who is nearing 60 how long its been since he had work. He said about 5 years.
Lakiesha : "I've done everything. I've cleaned houses and hotel rooms. I worked at a laundry. I worked as a cook. I'm not lazy. I just don't make enough money." (She laughed.)
Benson : "I'm a Vet. I had a breakdown. I worked for a while when I got back from Nam."
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO WERE WILLING TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION!
(Names may have been changed to protect the privacy of the people who did!)
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE IN THIS BLOG TO FIND OTHER STREET QUESTIONS!
PAGES - POP UP AND BE SURPRISED!
- HOW TO USE THIS BLOG TO FIND SERVICES
- QUESTIONS FOR HOMELESS
- ASK THE SHELTER / NONPROFIT AT INTAKE
- BE A GOOD ROOM MATE AT THE SHELTER
- WHAT MAKES A GOOD CASE MANAGER?
- BIRTH CERTIFICATES - DMV ID - EMAIL - SNAIL MAIL -...
- WE WANT REFERRALS TO EBT FOOD - RESTAURANTS
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIET!
- FIND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS / LOCAL and NATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL READERSHIP OF EXPOSE HOMELESSNESS
- CONTACT US - CONFIDENTIAL