Saturday, July 27, 2013

ANOTHER FRIEND GOES FROM LIVING IN A VAN TO STREET HOMELESS THANKS TO THE POLICE

We saw "Henry" who is 72 years old sitting up near his laptop in a coffee shop with his eyes barely open. 

"You sick Henry?"

"No - The police got my van.  I gotta last till my SSI check comes in.  Then I got $400 for a car.  Gonna get a storage unit.  Need a ride to get my things out of the van.  It's impounded."

"Expired tags?"

"They got my van."

Henry has been living in his van for 7 years since he lost his house.  He's been moving his debt around for a long time and says he doesn't want to go into an assisted living because he'll be left with $10 a week.  That's probably about right.  He knows his credit is wrecked but still hopes to catch up on his bills. Since he's been sick two winters in a row - real sick - and we told him we thought it was time to try and get in a senior building.  He says he would rather be on the street than in a shelter.  The police in the area he's been parking KNOW Henry lives in the van, KNOW he's been sick, KNOW he is now on the street.  Guess they demoted him.

"But you're gonna get in trouble with the police, Henry.  They'll get you for loitering."

"Not if I keep walking all night," he says.

THIS STORY IS REPEATED EVERY DAY!  HERE, THERE, and WHERE YOU ARE!

Any suggestions for Henry?

No comments: