WE KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE WHAT WE CALL AN "OBAMAPHONE."
The phones are from a lot of different places and with different plans. For instance we hear of 250 - 500 - and even 1000 MINUTES. BUT WE KNOW THERE ARE SEVERAL COMPANIES OFFERING UNLIMITED MINUTES AND TEXTS.
What is your experience with the OBAMAPHONE? IS IT HELPING YOU? Do you recommend a certain company or provider or store?
HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK before you walk away without reading the fine print.
1) DO YOU HAVE A WALK IN STORE - BRICK AND MORTAR STORE - THAT I CAN GO TO IF I DON'T WANT TO SIGN UP OR TAKE A PHONE WITH ME TODAY? Can I pick up a phone there or will it have to be mailed? Can it be mailed to a post office box?
2) WHAT IF I WANT INTERNET TOO? IS THERE A PHONE I CAN HAVE FOR FREE OR BUY? HOW MUCH FOR THE PHONE AND HOW MUCH A MONTH FOR THE INTERNET MINUTES? CAREFUL - THIS CAN BE TRICKY - because you may find that the fee for having internet means the phone is not a better deal than you can find with a prepaid carrier elsewhere.
3) WHAT IF I GET THE PHONE and it turns out that the service is poor. Like if I only get one bar or there are missing messages and texts? DO I HAVE TO KEEP THE PHONE ANY CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME? CAN I RETURN IT TO YOU and TRY OUT ANOTHER OBAMAPHONE CARRIER?
*We know someone who has two OBAMAPHONES?
4) WHAT IF I WANT A FREE LANDLINE INSTEAD? (We know that you have a choice of either a landline or a cell phone, but that the cell phone carriers seem to be out all over signing people up and having them walk away with a phone. Some of these people appear to be on commission and some of them failed to answer these questions, sticking with a sales spiel. So we are not sure they will answer this question honesty, or even know the answer.
5) Do you have TOLL FREE CUSTOMER SERVICE if there are problems or more questions?
6) WHAT COMPANY CARRIES Your calls? Get this we already found one carrier that says they work off Sprint and another that says they work of T-Mobil... If your current phone doesn't function well on these carriers, look for an Obama phone that works off a different carrier.
7) DO YOU HAVE INFOMATION I CAN READ that comes with the phone? I want to read it /take it with me before I sign up. (Avoid any carrier that sets up tables at the Social Services office, at the bus terminal, at a shelter or rehab that DOES NOT PROVIDE THE CONTRACT printed up.)
PAGES - POP UP AND BE SURPRISED!
- HOW TO USE THIS BLOG TO FIND SERVICES
- QUESTIONS FOR HOMELESS
- ASK THE SHELTER / NONPROFIT AT INTAKE
- BE A GOOD ROOM MATE AT THE SHELTER
- WHAT MAKES A GOOD CASE MANAGER?
- BIRTH CERTIFICATES - DMV ID - EMAIL - SNAIL MAIL -...
- WE WANT REFERRALS TO EBT FOOD - RESTAURANTS
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIET!
- FIND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS / LOCAL and NATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL READERSHIP OF EXPOSE HOMELESSNESS
- CONTACT US - CONFIDENTIAL