DAILY NEWS - OPINION BY LARRY WILSON - WHEN LOS ANGELES STREETS TURN MEAN By Larry Wilson, San Gabriel Valley Tribune
It’s not a problem tied to one city, though, is it? Whether you are sleeping in a tent on the sidewalk on Skid Row or in the bushes off some Southland freeway, whether you are baking in a San Bernardino barranca or doing the same in a Venice Beach alleyway, it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference.
One problem Garcetti has found in his crusade is that about 700 of those still homeless in his city have federal Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing vouchers that they can’t use, because they don’t come near covering the real cost of housing in Southern California.
This is the same kind of issue that so many homeless families with Section 8 federal housing vouchers find. If no landlord will take you because they can charge more than the federal subsidy will pay, you are out of luck.
One of our friends has tried to find housing with his Section 8 voucher. He was told by agencies there that people in Santa Barbara are loosing their housing vouchers because of the inavailability of affordable and section 8 housing in that county.
PAGES - POP UP AND BE SURPRISED!
- HOW TO USE THIS BLOG TO FIND SERVICES
- QUESTIONS FOR HOMELESS
- ASK THE SHELTER / NONPROFIT AT INTAKE
- BE A GOOD ROOM MATE AT THE SHELTER
- WHAT MAKES A GOOD CASE MANAGER?
- BIRTH CERTIFICATES - DMV ID - EMAIL - SNAIL MAIL -...
- WE WANT REFERRALS TO EBT FOOD - RESTAURANTS
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIET!
- FIND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS / LOCAL and NATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL READERSHIP OF EXPOSE HOMELESSNESS
- CONTACT US - CONFIDENTIAL