DAILYBREEZE - SAN PEDRO MAN WHO KNEW HOMELESSNESS PAYS IT FORWARD
EXCERPT: About Paris Thomas
The 37-year-old has been sober from alcohol for two years and sober from drugs for almost a decade. A motorcycle ministry helped him overcome his addictions and get back on his feet, and Thomas emerged from the experience determined to lead a life of service.
The lifelong San Pedro resident decided to reach out to different congregations in town — Thomas was raised Catholic, once identified as Mormon and now considers himself a nondenominational born again Christian — about their ministries for the poor.
“I talked to Father Augustine at Holy Trinity and I asked him what the Catholics were doing for the homeless in San Pedro, and he gave me Helen’s phone number,” he said.
Helen Grove, founder of the San Pedro Catholic Worker lay ministry group, has served meals to the homeless in San Pedro for over 20 years. In 2013, she was gifted with the rent-free use of a 4,500-square-foot kitchen-equipped building that would become Curt’s Kitchen, named after her late husband.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS - SERVICE CALENDER
137 N. Pacific Avenue , San Pedro, California.
If you'd like to volunteer contact Helen Grove at 310.831.3480 San Pedro Catholic Worker lay ministry group
PAGES - POP UP AND BE SURPRISED!
- HOW TO USE THIS BLOG TO FIND SERVICES
- QUESTIONS FOR HOMELESS
- ASK THE SHELTER / NONPROFIT AT INTAKE
- BE A GOOD ROOM MATE AT THE SHELTER
- WHAT MAKES A GOOD CASE MANAGER?
- BIRTH CERTIFICATES - DMV ID - EMAIL - SNAIL MAIL -...
- WE WANT REFERRALS TO EBT FOOD - RESTAURANTS
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIET!
- FIND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS / LOCAL and NATIONAL
- INTERNATIONAL READERSHIP OF EXPOSE HOMELESSNESS
- CONTACT US - CONFIDENTIAL