Saturday, November 30, 2013

NEW FRIENDS HOMELESS CENTER SERVES 200 HOMELESS THANKSGIVING MEAL - TWICE A WEEK MEALS

DAILY NEWS ON SAN FERNANDO VALLEY THANKSGIVING and PASTOR APRIL BELT

Nearly 200 homeless San Fernando Valley residents milled about a hall at St. Nicholas Episcopal Church in Encino on Thursday, greeting each other with smiles and hugs at the Thanksgiving dinner hosted by New Friends Homeless Center...The holiday event is in its third year and the all-volunteer group targets its outreach to the estimated 5,000 homeless residents of the San Fernando Valley. While funding and attention often goes to Skid Row programs and downtown shelters, Pastor April Belt of Woodland Hills’ Miracle Minded Ministries said there is a need in the Valley, even if it isn’t as prominent as in other areas....

Robert Gale, a retired Los Angeles Police Department captain, volunteers as chef for the weekly dinners, and Thursday was no different as he oversaw the turkeys, stuffing and other sides heading out the kitchen door.

“You know, when I first started helping out with this, I didn’t want to do it at all. I used to work foot patrol on Skid Row as a cop, and I couldn’t stand being around homeless people. I did it because Pastor April asked me to, but I wasn’t happy about it.”

But in the communal atmosphere of the group, Gale said he let go of those notions.

“There was one guy I met who told me his story and he told me he used to be an airplane pilot. I thought, ‘Yeah, uh huh. Sure.’ He told me he was the first guy to land a 747 at LAX and that there was a plaque with his name on it in a hanger at the airport. Well, one day, I was down there and some friends of mine let me go take a look. Sure enough, there’s his name on a plaque.”
Gale said the man had battled cancer, lost most of his belongings and his home.

NEW FRIENDS HOMELESS CENTER link

Tuesday 6:30pm - 8pm
St. Nicholas Episcopal Church
17114 Ventura Blvd.
Encino, CA 91316
   
Friday 6:30pm - 8pm
United Methodist Church
5650 Shoup Ave.
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a single childless woman who isn't Christian I've found that there is almost nowhere for me to go to get out of my truck except for the armores. Am not into being prayed over or upon. Where can I go?